Wednesday, March 22, 2006

available at your nearest christian bookstore

I have just started reading a book called The Irresistible Revolution. It was written by Shane Clairborne, a co-founder of an orginization called The Simple Way. I first read about this group in an article in Christianity Today. They are based in Philadelphia, and their main job is just to care for the homeless or whoever happen to pass by. I had heard about this book coming out, and have been eager to read it. I was eager to read especially after reading Under the Overpass, which was written by a Westmont student. I highly reccomend that book. Anyway, I have been reading this book and have been encouraged and also a little miffed.
Shane Clairborne is an extraordinary man who has used his talent and heart for the homeless in amazing ways. He encourages readers to be be more like Jesus, almost literally, in that he was a advocate and protector of the homeless.

Unfortunetly, Mr. Clairborne almost discourages the importance of doctrine and theology among Christians. He says the church has become too bogged down with "dusty old theology books." He puts the main emphasis on the church and how it has lost its meaning and what it was and is supposed to be. He is right about that, but how can you expect a church to stand up to scrutiny if it isn't founded upon good theology? And more importantly, how can we reach the lost if we ourselves are devoted to nothing but shallow ideals?

However, he did have good things to say about things we can do to help the homeless and get out of our comfort zone. When I go to Brazil this summer I hope this will be true for me. I have become so burned out on America, so I think it will be good to get away from friends, school, job, etc. I am praying God will give me some direction and focus while I am down there.

Anyhoo, I would read this book if just to hear about another man's great work in an area that we could all work on.

4 Comments:

At 27/3/06 6:58 PM, Blogger Julianne said...

I hadn't seen this post...book looks good. You are going to have an amazing experience down in Brazil. I can't believe how different it was to be there for three months compared to two weeks. God bless your summer there. Sat hello to all the Brazilians for me...gosh, I miss that place...

 
At 5/4/06 6:52 PM, Blogger Jen said...

hi...so ya Stephen...how goes it? I just wanted to let you know that I just put a post up and ya its not true...I'm not getting married. Brian and I are just getting back at one of our friends...so ya just wanted to let you know so that you don't go and tell you parents and there is a big ol' mess! I hope you are having a wonderful day!

 
At 5/4/06 10:09 PM, Blogger stephen said...

Thanks, Jen, I really got worried there for a second. Besides, red isn't really your color.

 
At 11/7/06 9:15 PM, Blogger Sean Dietrich said...

Hello,
I am a musician who has been heavily influenced by Keith Green. I would be honored if you would check out my music. All music on my site is free for download.

I don't mean to be a pest, so if this message is an annoyance, please delete it and accept my humblest of apologies. I just want to share my music with people who love Jesus.

Thanks,
-Sean
______________
www.SeanDietrich.com
"All my music is free."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Ring of Reformed Sites
[Previous 5] [Previous] [Skip 1] [Next] [Next 5] [List] [JOIN!]

Stephen Meador's Facebook profile